It’s been a fair while now that I last shared a tutorial, and seeing as how flamingoes (and candy!) are kind of the best thing ever, why not create a flamingo piñata. So I did. And I’m actually really pleased with how it came out! You can see yourself that it’s a pretty straightforward tutorial, so you can definitely use the same strategy to create any piñata you like! I’m thinking that a cactus or a pineapple will be my next venture!
For this tutorial you will need:
♥ Crepe paper (pink, black, and white)
♥ A pen
♥ A hot glue gun (or thick sticky tape)
♥ Candy! Lots and lots of candy!!
1. Start off by drawing your flamingo design onto card. (I’ve made a flamingo template here if you’re not too confident about drawing it freehand). Make sure you trace your design onto a second piece of card. After all, you want your piñata to have two sides to it, right?! How else would it hold all of that sweet, sweet candy.
2. After you’ve cut your flamingo pieces out, use your scissors to chop your next bit of card into long thick strips – around 5cm or so in thickness should do it.
3. Hot glue gun (or sticky tape!) the pieces into place, making sure that you leave a little gap on it’s head and on it’s back – you know, for the candy and all that.
4. Now you’ve got your basic flamingo shape sorted it’s time to bring in the colour! Cut your crepe paper into strips, starting with the pink first. Use your scissors to chop into the crepe paper, to give it a ‘fluffy’ look.
5. Cover the entire flamingo (minus the beak) in pink crepe paper. I used my hot glue gun to hold it down, but sticky tape works too! Start from the bottom up (I made a mistake first of all – which you can see – as I started from the top. It doesn’t look right, so take my advice – bottoms up!)
6. Now it’s time for the beak details. It’s basically the same, just changing the colours. This is how I did mine! Use a small circle of black crepe paper for the eyes. UNLESS you have googly eyes on hand. Then you must always use the googly eyes! #googlyeyesforever #whydon’tihaveanygooglyeyes?
7. Feed the piece of string into the gap in the head, before sealing it up completely. This is how you’re going to hang your piñata.
8. And finally, la piece de resistance – the candy!! Fill ’em up via the hole in the back, adding however much candy you like (so lots, obviously). Seal the hole with your hot glue gun or tape, and you’re sorted!
Now, let the flamingo festivities begin! Who has the blindfold?