Thanks to a certain recent blockbuster set in the 1920s, I’ve been going through a love affair with all things flapper. Yep, sparkles, glitter, glamour; gimmie gimmie gimmie. While I can daydream about decadent pool parties filled with of giant Moet bottles and dancing, I am honestly completely satisfied in gettin’ my makeup spruced up – 1920s style. Together with Maybelline New York, I’ve put together a little guide on how to Go Gatsby – I definitely recommend giving it a try! xo.
1. Start off by applying liquid foundation. It’s up to you whether you use a brush or your fingers – personally, I went with the latter, as I find it easier to blend. I used Fit Me Foundation (NZ$22.99)
2. To create a matte look, powder your face all over with Maybelline New York Fit Me Pressed Powder (NZ$19.99). After I had used the powder puff, I swept a makeup brush gently over my face. Just to make it look less ‘powder-y’ and more blended – you know.
3. Now for some blush! Smile really hard to make the apples of your cheeks extra prominent and apply blush in a circular motion. I used Maybelline Fit Me Blush in Medium Pink (NZ$19.99). Oh, and remember to blend, blend, blend!
Eyes + Brows.
1. Start off by giving your brows a bit of a groomin’ session. To do this, brush them upwards, then shape the ends. Use the fine point of your pencil to draw them in, paying special attention to filling in the gaps. For a more 1920s look, extend your brows slightly so they look longer than usual. I used the Master Shape Brow Pencil (NZ$18.99) in blonde.
2. Now it’s time to make those eyes pop – 1920s style! I started by applying a base silvery colour, from the Quads Eyeshadow in Charcoal Smokes set (NZ$15.99). Next I added the darkest shade around the tops of my lids and blended upwards. To achieve a real flapper style, I added a bunch of smoky eyeshadow underneath my eyes.
3. Time for my favourite part: a touch of liquid liner! In this case, I used Eye Studio Hyper Glossy Liquid Liner (NZ$19.99). I went over both lids and added a subtle cats eye flick (of course!) at the edge of my eyes.
4. To finish off the eyes, I added a swipe of Volum’ Express ‘The Colossal’ Cats Eye Mascara (NZ$23.99). The curved brush is brilliant for creating thick and full lashes, regardless of whether you use an eyelash curler or not (I don’t, FYI). Add plenty of mascara to your lower lashes too, for that good ol’ babydoll look.
1. A 1920s makeup look is all about defining the cupids bow of your lips. Use your lip liner to exhaggerate the lines of your upper lip. Oh, and watch out for excessive laughter! I always feel completely ridiculous when applying lip liner – it is hilarious – until you fill it in with lipstick of course! I used Color Sensational Lip Liner in Red (NZ$18.99).
2. Now it’s time to look less ridiculous! Apply bold red lipstick and voilà – that’s it! I used Color Sensational Lipstick in Fatal Red (NZ$20.99) and felt like the ultimate 1920s babe.
Just if you feel like it, add a beauty mark on your face. I used a dab of liquid liner – though accidentally made it too big. So the key is: use a little self restraint (unlike yours truly – who clearly got ever-so-slightly carried away!)